There are a lot of things attributed to the Holy Spirit that when measured by Scripture, doesn’t add up. On the other hand, there are stuff about the Holy Spirit we read in Scripture, that when compared to our life now, don’t add up as well. Unfortunately, the general impact of this is that you err on one of two extremes. You are either drawn to the “Everything is the Holy Spirit” to the “Let’s just not deal with Him at all”. This is sad because if there is anything we can establish firmly about the Holy Spirit it is this: The Christian life is only possible through His ministry! The life of faith is designed around His person and work.
What statements can you make about the Holy Spirit that is categorically true from both the attestation of Scripture and personal Experience?
What do you believe is the most important ministry of the Holy Spirit in your life today?
- Read John 14:15-29. What did Jesus say was the basis of sending the Holy Spirit?
- How is it that only the disciples could see or receive the Holy Spirit?
- Describe the quality of relationship that Jesus has with the Father, which in turn he promises to those who obey him.
- The words for “Helper” is “Advocate”, “Counsel” and “Comforter”. When combined with a love commitment, how do these roles help the believer?
TAKE IT HOME:
Acts 4:31 (ESV) 31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
- Take a moment and share which area of your life could use the help of the Holy Spirit.
- Close by praying for each other.